History of Minsk customs started in 1922. In accordance with Order No. 3 of the Authorized People's Commissariat of Foreign Trade’s Office at the SSRB, on January 11, 1922, the Customs was opened in Minsk and it consisted of three divisions:
1. Warehouse department
2. Inspection department
3. Accounting department.
There were 59 employees in Minsk Customs.
In November 1923, 3-month refresher courses for the improvement of customs personnel’s professional training were opened as a part of Minsk Customs, but it was eliminated soon in 1924. Therefore, customs officers were engaged in upgrading their skills only in special clubs within the customs.
In 1924 the post department began to operate in connection with the inspection of international parcels. In 1925, the kennel for sniffer dogs was opened in Puhovichi. In those years, Minsk customs was one of the largest in the BSSR and brought the greatest revenue to the treasury.
On March 1, 1928, Minsk customs was closed due to the fact that the global economic crisis of the late 1920s, which affected the great majority of countries all over the world, caused a reduction in freight turnover. During this period, Canada, the United States and France imposed restrictions on import of goods from the USSR. As a result, the number of customs institutions in the USSR decreased.
In the 1950s. the number of customs in the BSSR decreased, due to diminution of traffic and citizens’ border crossings. As a result, Minsk customs was transformed into Minsk third-class customs post of Vilnius customs on April 28, 1955 according to the order of the Ministry of Foreign Trade of the USSR. Since May 1959 Minsk Post had been under Grodno customs. The staff of the Minsk post consisted of 3 inspectors. The head of the post was Zalozny K.D.
In 1965 Minsk customs post was taken out of Grodno customs and was included in Brest customs.
On August 5, 1975 Minsk customs was established on the basis of Minsk customs post. Pavel P. Krechko took charge of it. On August 26, 1982 a customs post, covered by Minsk customs, was established in Zhlobin.
Later, in order to strengthen control over export and import cargo shipments in the territory of the BSSR, according to the order of the head of the State Customs Committee of the USSR No. 44 dated 06.04.1987, Minsk customs was transformed into Belarusian territorial customs. Its activity sphere spread to the entire territory of the BSSR, except Brest and Grodno regions. The aviation customs post Minsk-2 was created as a part of the Belarusian territorial customs, according to the order No. 26 dated 07.02.1989. The customs also included customs posts in Zhlobin, Novopolotsk, Machulishchy.
In the early 1990s, a number of structural changes took place in Belarusian territorial customs. Order No. 132 of 15 June. 1990 transformed Belarusian territorial customs into Minsk customs. On October 22, 1990 Vitebsk and Mogilev customs posts of Minsk Customs were established.
On April 1990, the Belarusian Department of State Customs Control was established under the Council of Ministers of the USSR, headed by Petr Vasilievich Krechko. The Belarusian department of State Customs Control of the USSR consisted of 4 customs: Minsk, Brest, Grodno and "Western Bug" customs.
On October 27, 1992 in accordance with the order of the State Customs Committee of the Republic of Belarus No. 155-OD, Minsk Customs was reorganized into Minsk Regional Customs (MRC). Minsk, Vitebsk, Mogilev and Gomel regions were covered by the customs. The following customs posts were established and successfully functioned: Bobruisk, Borisov, Vitebsk, Gomel, Zhlobin, Novopolotsk, Machulishchi, Minsk-2, Mogilev, Molodechno, Svetlogorsk, Soligorsk. The customs was managed by Makarevich Vikenty Vikentievich. In a year, independent Gomel, Mogilev, Vitebsk, Polotsk customs and the customs Minsk-2 were established on the basis of Minsk regional customs posts.
In 1995 Minsk regional customs included the following customs posts: Machulishchi, Minsk-Tsentralny, Minsk-1, Stepyanka; Customs clearance points: Slutsk Railway, Stolbtsy, Minsk-Belpromimpex, Kolyadichi-auto, Kolodishchi, Minsk-Khoztorg, Dzerzhinsk, Zhdanovichi Trade House, Ozertso-auto , "Molodechno-auto", "Minsk-Beltamo", "Minsk Post-2".
Thus, in the late 1990s Minsk Regional Customs was finally formed. On June 13, 2000, Minsk Regional Customs was awarded with the Certificate of Honor of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Belarus for its contribution to the replenishment of the state budget and the development of foreign economic activity.